Wills and Estates Group
The Wills and Estates Group provides a full range of sophisticated legal and planning advice. We focus on both long-term estate planning requirements as well as ongoing family-related concerns. Services include the preparation of wills and powers of attorney and the creation of trusts to facilitate estate-planning endeavors. The Group provides in-depth advice to individual clients as well as to trust companies on a range of legal issues, including the interpretation and enforceability of wills and trust arrangements, the rights of beneficiaries, the duties of executors and trustees and mental incapacity issues.
In addition to estate planning and administration, the Group offers expertise in estate litigation, including challenging the validity of wills, varying wills or trusts, contested passing of accounts applications, dependant support applications, spousal rights, breach-of-trust actions and all related proceedings.
As an alternative to litigation, we also offer expertise in the mediation and arbitration of estate disputes by one of our senior estate litigation lawyers who is specially trained in estate mediation and arbitration.
Key service areas provided by members of the Wills and Estates Group include:
- Advising clients in all aspects of tax estate, trust, probate and family and personal planning
- Advising on all aspects of estate planning and administration
- Arbitration of estate disputes
- Mediation of estate disputes
- Preparation of powers of attorney, wills, trust agreements, personal contracts and shareholders’ agreements
- Resolution of disputes involving trusts, wills and estates
- Succession planning for owners of independent businesses
The Wills and Estates Group is chaired by Howard S. Black. Howard is a past chair of the Trusts and Estates section of the Ontario Bar Association and serves as an Adjunct Professor of Law in Wills and Estates at Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto.